Tolkien must have been on to something.

I had a conversation with my family last night.  One of those after dinner random talks as one of us was on facebook.  We were talking about how no one seems to know how to create even the most simple sentence without adding lol or some thing of the like.  We also discussed the effects things like facebook twitter and texting has on the knowledge of words and grammar.  Even with built in spell check on most computers, the words never seemed spelled correctly and the grammar is always off.  I admit I am one of the afflicted of such mistakes.
The new way of speaking through text could be considered similar to Tolkien's elfish language. Just sound out the words and you'll know what I mean.
roflmao, lol, adip, urapita, fitb and so on.  I'm sure you could come up with much more then myself, since I am no master of txtng.
It all makes me wonder how long it will be before the new words of our language are common place and words such as augment, cumbersome, and facetious are a thing of the past. It will be a shame if that ever were to happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME