Characters come alive

There was a phrase that I saw while looking at my twitter the other day.  It stuck with me, through dreams and waking moments.  I can't remember who said it, but it was so true its scary.

'Characters are not created, they are beings waiting to be discovered.'

To anyone who writes, even if it's short stories, or just random thoughts, you find your characters seem to have a mind of their own.  I know this to be true in my own writing.  My MC will have a goal and be headed in that direction when something distracts her and I find myself being dragged along for the ride.  I didn't plan what happens, I don't anticipate the direction change.  It just happens and I find myself caught into my own story as if I am watching it from the outside and not writing it.  The writing itself is scary, with all the grammar mistakes and sloppy sentences.  It is all due to not noticing that the story is being written, its more like it is being played out and I'm taking notes.  The only problem with that is trying to edit it so that others will see what I saw in the end.  It's fun, regardless of the work put into it.

Randomly I found this website with Hollie Lisle describing the positive impact us writers have on the economy.  No matter what type of writer we are.  So enjoy the article and keep writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME