The Guardian



My feet hit the soft littered floor of the forest.  All around me were the sounds of birds. At least, I thought they were birds.  The forest opened up to a path, dark with heavy foliage on one side.  The light of the sun broke in streams on the other.   Beautiful to behold.  I took another light step.

"Magical or Mundane?"  The words echoed in my head.  I looked around. Did I imagine that?

"Mundane or Magical?" I flinched, the voice deepened.  What was it asking me? If I was magical or mundane?

I stumbled trying to think.  Should I answer it? "Um... mundane?"

The trees hissed while a flock of birds scattered above.   A roar, louder and deeper than any voice in my head, made my knees shake.  Crashing through the thick woods a bear came into view.  It stopped when it spotted me.  Raising up on it's hind legs it roared again.  Holding my ears I took a step back.  The beast was taller than I had ever imagined it.

It moved forward, swiping its paw.  I ducked and turned to run back over the bridge.

It was gone. The river rushed past, foaming white with force.  No way back.

I turned to face my attacker and dropped when its claw came my way.  I huddled in a ball, waiting for death.  The breaths of the bear steamed against the back of my neck.  Its feet inches from my face.

I waited. The end would come soon.  It had to.  I was such an easy prey.

Nothing.

I glanced up.  It nodded at me when our eyes met.  Then, with a final forced breath, it walked away.

"Approved.  Mundane it is."  The voice sounded in my head again.  "You may proceed."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME