Blog Ring of Power Presents: Sandra Siadak


Welcome to another Blog Ring of Power Friday.  Hold on to your seats as we interview Sandra Saidak.  First I would like to thank Sandra for taking the time to answer all of BRoP long questions. 

Part 2 rocking out with me

SANDRA SAIDAK graduated San Francisco State University in 1985 with a B.A. in English.  She is a high school English teacher by day, author by night.  Her hobbies include reading, dancing, attending science fiction conventions, researching prehistory, and maintaining an active fantasy life (but she warns that this last one could lead to dangerous habits such as writing).  Sandra lives in San Jose with her husband Tom, daughters Heather and Melissa, and two cats.   Her first novel, “Daughter of the Goddess Lands”, an epic set in the late Neolithic Age, was published in November, 2011 by Uffington Horse Press.  Learn more athttp://sandrasaidak.com/






Let's take a look at Sandra's Writing life. :D


BRoP:  What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? Do you use pen and paper or computer? Work at home or at the library/Starbucks, etc.

SS: I have a nice laptop that I love to write on—I just don’t seem to take it out of the house very much.  I have a small office in my laundry room, and a sign my mother gave my which reads: “Quiet, please, novel in progress.”  So far, it hasn’t worked very well, but I keep it on the door while I’m working.  At least I have a door that I can close.

BRoP:   How do you balance writing with other aspects of your life?

SS: With great difficulty. 

BRoP:    When do you write?

SS:  Whenever I can.  That’s usually in the evenings, or weekend afternoons.  As a teacher, I sometimes have summers off, such as I do right now.  I’ve been getting a lot done these last few weeks.  This fall, however, I’m going to be teaching some new classes, and that is going to take much more time and energy.  It will be interesting to see how much time I’ll have to write.  Fortunately, one of those new classes is Creative Writing, so maybe I can write along with the students.

BRoP:   What is the strongest criticism you’ve ever received as an author? The best compliment?

SS:  The strongest (and most unexpected) criticism I’ve received so far was from an Amazon reviewer who accused me of having no understanding of PTSD and warned survivors of sexual violence to avoid my book.  This was the complete opposite of what I had intended, and what I believed I had accomplished.  It really upset me for a time.  The best compliment was probably being compared (favorably) to Jean Auel.

BRoP:  How do you deal with rejection and/or negative reviews?

SS:  After the above mentioned Amazon review, I asked all the broads on Broaduniverse for advice.  Those people were great with the suggestions!  The ones I’ve taken to heart: keep high quality chocolate and good wine around at all times, and remember that negative reviews are actually helpful, since many people won’t read a book if everyone who posts a review has the same opinion.




Daughter of the Goddess Lands--
Abducted by a tribe of violent horsemen, Kalie, daughter of a peaceful, goddess-worshiping society, escapes from slavery and returns home, only to find her trials are just beginning.  When her warnings of an upcoming invasion go unheeded, Kalie seeks sanctuary in a temple of healing.  Here, she learns to help others, yet is unable to heal her own pain or stop the nightmares.  When the horsemen return, it is up to Kalie to find a way to save her people from slavery and death, while at the same time, finding the courage to confront the ghosts of her own past.

   
Shadow of the Horsemen continues the saga of Kalie, the intrepid heroine of “Daughter of the Goddess Lands.”  Kalie is rising in status and influence among her captors, the horsemen that control the rugged steppes of prehistoric Europe.  Now she seeks the weapon that will save her people, but time is running out as Haraak the Kingmaker, forges a mighty federation of tribes, intent on invading Kalie’s rich and peaceful homeland. Kalie finds, an unlikely ally in Riyik, a powerful warrior whose crippled son Kalie has been treating with her healing skills.  Forced to work together, the two find themselves growing closer than either had intended.  But in the violent, chaotic world of the steppes, love can be a dangerous thing. As alliances shift and warriors battle for dominance, Kalie must use all her abilities see her enemies defeated and create a new life for all of those she has come to love. 

Website: http://sandrasaidak.com/
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/sandy.saidak 
Goodreads author page:  http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=sandra+saidak (but having difficulties; I keep adding the new book; it keeps not showing up!)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sandra-Saidak/e/B006C1QZR8/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1342926719&sr=1-2-ent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Bike Path Bridge