Blog Ring of Power Presents: George Sirois

Welcome to another Blog Ring of Power Monday. Today isn't so bad, not many people out on the roads, due to Presidents day in the USA. So sit back and relax, grab that cup of coffee, and read about George Sirois. I promise, it will be worth it. 


BRoP Logo Revised

P2 @ Sit back and read on... you are here!


George Sirois self-published his first novel “From Parts Unknown” in November of 2002, which he is re-working as a five-part eBook serial and paperback release. When he self-published his Young Adult/Science-Fiction novel “Excelsior” in July of 2010, it was named “Top Pick” by Night Owl Reviews and a quarter-finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. George’s writing has also been seen on 411Mania.com and Booktrib.com as a featured columnist. After living in New York City for most of his life, George and his wife and their two dogs now happily call St. Louis, MO their home. In his spare time, George is an avid cinephile, a collector of film scores, a lifelong fan of the New York Giants, and enjoys West Coast Swing dancing. (The fact that he knows the difference between East and West Coast Swing makes me love him even more)


BRoP: What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? Do you use pen and paper or computer? Work at home or at the library/Starbucks, etc.

George: I’ve done my share of writing in lots of places over the years: work, home, school, libraries, Starbucks, St. Louis Bread Co., Central Park, even in a couple of bars. My penmanship has deteriorated so much over the years that I can barely read it anymore, so for my own sanity’s sake, I use my laptop. It takes a bit of a struggle for me to get into a good writing rhythm, but once I’m in that rhythm, I can churn out 10-15 pages per day.

BRoP: How do you balance writing with other aspects of your life?

George: I’m still trying to figure that part out. My wife and I both work full-time jobs, we have a social life, and we have a new house. So the difficult part is carving out the time for me to sit down and write, knowing that I’m not going to be sucking that time away by being online. Thankfully, I discovered the StayFocused app on Google Chrome so I know that, once I can commit to a certain time frame, then I’ll use that to keep myself on track.

BRoP: What has been the most surprising reaction to something you've written?

George: I think it was when I got the first compliment to “Excelsior” from someone that wasn't a close friend or family member. Even better: it was from an acclaimed author, Ann Charles, who writes the successful Deadwood mystery series. We were both part of a major promotion by the Indie Book Collective, and it just so happened that my book came before hers. So I read her book (which I loved) and she read mine. This was what she said on her page:

lPrevious Tour Stop: the Stellar George Sirois

l(I’m a huge fan!)

I had a blast reading George Sirois’ book, Excelsior! I loved the way he transitioned between worlds, he built more and more tension and excitement as the story progressed, and he kept me hooked with every scene and chapter all of the way to the end. Excelsior was refreshingly original and fun, adventurous, a definite must-read. Thanks to George for his lively story, which made a heck of an entertaining stop on the tour for all of us, readers and authors alike.

                This was the first clue for me that maybe I was on to something with “Excelsior.”

BRoP: Other than your family, what has been your greatest source of support?

George: My friends, fellow authors, and my editor. My friends get excited when I've hit milestones in my writing and are anxious to know when the next book will come out. Fellow writers know exactly what I’m going through when it comes to gaining and losing momentum. And my editor has just made me be a better writer and is so encouraging with each project.

BRoP: How do you deal with rejection and/or negative reviews?

George: If I’m in a position where I can address the issues they had, and if their suggestions don’t compromise the story I’m trying to tell, then I make those changes. If it’s just a “couldn't finish, so bad” kind of review, then I just let it go and move on. You’re not going to please everyone, so don’t try because if you do, you don’t please anyone, especially yourself.



 Author Contact Information 
 Official Newsletter - http://bit.ly/19iazWM to subscribe


Created by high school senior Matthew Peters, Excelsior – savior of faraway planet Denab IV – is becoming an Internet sensation as the main character of a popular online comic strip. But before Matthew can enjoy his burgeoning success, a beautiful older woman arrives at his school and tells him that not only is she from the planet Denab IV, but that Excelsior's lifeforce lives within him. 
Now, with Excelsior's old enemies regaining strength, Matthew realizes he is the key to Earth's survival and Denab IV's salvation, and he has an opportunity that he never thought possible, to become his greatest creation. . . 

Book Links:
Book is in both print and e-copy



~~~  ~~~  ~~~

The Blog Ring of Power (BRoP) is a consortium of five speculative fiction writers who have banded together to bring you highlights from the current speculative fiction market--news, reviews, and interviews with speculative fiction authors--with an emphasis on small-press and self-published authors. So grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and relax. Have we got a story for you...

BRoP Footer Revised

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME