Blog Ring of Power Presents: Kate Evangelista


Well, it looks like it's Friday already! So while everyone begins their wind down time of this week's craziness, how about we take a visit from Author Kate Evangelista.  


When Kate Evangelista was told she had a knack for writing stories, she did the next best thing: entered medical school. After realizing she wasn’t going to be the next Doogie Howser, M.D., Kate wandered into the Literature department of her university and never looked back. Today, she is in possession of a piece of paper that says to the world she owns a Literature degree. To make matters worse, she took Master’s courses in creative writing. In the end, she realized to be a writer, none of what she had mattered. What really mattered? Writing. Plain and simple, honest to God, sitting in front of her computer, writing. Today, she has four completed Young Adult novels.



 The Creative Process


BRoP:  Where do you get your story ideas?

Kate:  I get my inspiration from everywhere and anywhere. I try to keep myself open. A lyric from a song. A scene in a movie. A line from a book. Anything can inspire me. I make sure to turn the inspiration into reality right away before it fades.

BRoP:  Do you have a specific writing style?

Kate: Right now? I’m really into alternating POVs. I love switching between the female and male protagonist of whatever story I’m currently working on. It allows me to explore so many different avenues in a story. Plus it helps me explore how the character thinks. It’s so much fun.

BRoP:  Are you a “plotter” or a “pantser” (do you plan/outline the story ahead of time or write “by the seat of your pants”)?

Kate:  I’m a write by the seat of my pants kind of girl. I take it a chapter or two at a time. Sometimes I start a story without knowing how it will end until I get to the middle. I find that when I outline, I end up forcing myself to stick to the outline and it stifles my creativity.

BRoP:  Do you use critique partners or beta readers? Why or why not?

Kate:  Having critique partners and beta readers is essential to my writing process. Getting their thoughts and using them as sounding boards allows me to see things about the story or characters that I didn't initially see while writing.

BRoP:  How much time do you spend on research? What type of research do you do?

Kate:  I don’t really do any in depth research. When I’m not clear about something while I’m writing, I Google it, but that’s the most I do. I stick to the facts within the world of the story. I find that too much research for me kills my world building. 

BRoP:  Is there anything you find particularly challenging to write?

Kate:  Horror. I’m easily scared. Which also means I can scare myself. So…writing horror is definitely out of the picture. I can put together scary scenes, but an entire scary book? *shivers*



Here's where you can find Kate:

Author Website: www.kateevangelista.com
Twitter: @KateEvangelista
Crescent Moon Press page for Taste: http://crescentmoonpress.com/books/Taste.html

Purchase Links:

Amazon:




Taste Trailer Full Download available at http://sheisnoelle.bandcamp.com


Taste Blurb:

At Barinkoff Academy, there’s only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans.

When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn’t realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud.



Reaping Me Softly Blurb:

Ever since a near-death-experience on the operating table, seventeen-year-old Arianne Wilson can see dead people. Just as she’s learned to accept her new-found talents, she discovers that the boy she’s had a crush on since freshman year, Niko Clark, is a Reaper.

At last they have something in common, but that doesn’t mean life is getting any easier. All while facing merciless bullying from the most powerful girl in school, Arianne’s world is turned upside down after Niko accidentally reaps the soul of someone she loves. This sends them both into a spiral that threatens to end Arianne’s life. But will Niko break his own Reaper’s code to save her? And what would the consequences be if he did?


Buy Links






To find the rest of Kate's interview, don't forget to check out the other members of the Blog Ring of Power



Part 1 @ Terri Bruce – http://www.terribruce.net on Wednesday, March 20th
Part 2 @ T.W. Fendley - http://twfendley.com/ on Thursday, March 21st
Part 3 @Emily LaBonte - http://emlabonte.blogspot.com/ Friday, March 22nd
Part 4 @ Sandra Ulbrich Almazon - http://ulbrichalmazan.blogspot.com/ Monday, March 25
Part 5 @ Dean C. Rich - http://deanswritingtime.blogspot.com/ Tuesday, March 26

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME