Blog Ring of Power Presents: KT Bryski

 BRoP Logo Revised

Don't forget to look over the rest of the interview:
Part 1 @ Terri
Part 2 @ T.W.
Part 3 @ *waves* here is where you are. 
Part 4 @ Sandra
Part 5 @ Vicki

K.T. Bryski is a Candian author and podcaster. She made her podcasting and publishing debut with Hapax, an apocalyptic fantasy with Dragon Moon Press (2012). Select playwriting credits include scripts for Black Creek Pioneer Village (2011) and East o’ the Sun and West o’ the Moon: a Children’s Opera (Canadian Children’s Opera Company, 2014). She recently received her Hon. B.A. in History from the University of Toronto, and she is currently at work on her next novel. Visit her at www.ktbryski.com. 



Author Contact Info
Blog - Facebook Page: The Group Page of K.T.Bryski’s Writing - Goodreads Page: K.T. Bryski,  - Twitter: @ktbryski

Section 3: The Creative Process


BRoP: Where do you get your story ideas?

KT: From everywhere and anywhere. Music is particularly good at triggering emotions that spark stories. Random “what if” thoughts sometimes come to me while I’m washing dishes or riding my bike. History has also proven a rich source of ideas.

BRoP: How do you deal with writer’s block?

KT: When I get writer’s block, it’s usually my subconscious telling me that something in the story isn't working. So I break it down: what about this story turns me off, and why? It can take a long time to figure out what’s wrong, but when I do, it’s such a sense of relief! In the interim, I have to get away from the keyboard. Getting out of the house and getting my body moving is essential.

BRoP: How do you develop plots and characters?

KT: Both plots and characters usually start as a lightning flash: a single image or feeling that sticks in my mind. From there, it’s asking lots and lots of questions of myself. Every answer results in even more questions.  As I play this back-and-forth game, details start to gel and accumulate. Do this long enough, and you’ve got a plot and/or character on your hands.

BRoP: Are you a “plotter” or a “pantser”?

KT: I consider myself a loose outliner. I can’t just dive into a story with no plan, but I don’t plot each scene to the minutest details either. It’s kind of like having a roadmap: I know my starting and my destination, several major landmarks along the way, and a rough idea of the route in between. That approach gives me the structure I need to feel comfortable, but also allows space for intuitive leaps and diversions.

BRoP: Do you use critique partners or beta readers? Why or why not?

KT: I use beta readers. I love my beta readers. They spot things that I won’t, because they’re engaging with the story as readers, whereas I’ll always be partly in the mindset of “author.”
Some of my beta readers are brilliant at analyzing character; others, picking sentences apart. Their strengths are all different than mine. If they’re kind enough to lend me their time, I’m happy to learn from them!




The Apocalypse has come, and in seven days the world will be no more.

Only the Hapax, the Word which began the universe, can recreate the world and avert the Apocalypse, but that Word has been lost. Brother Gaelin finds his faith crumbling as he is forced to shelter two fugitives from the Magistatiem, the college of magi which has been divorced from the Ecclesiat monks for centuries.
As time slips away, the monks and magi must do more than just heal the ancient rift that divides them—they must trust in the very Being who drove them apart.

Buy/Book Links





Hapax is available in print, e-book, and podcast forms. 

BRoP Logo RevisedThe Blog Ring of Power (BRoP) is a consortium of five speculative fiction writers who have banded together to bring you highlights from the current speculative fiction market--news, reviews, and interviews with speculative fiction authors--with an emphasis on small-press and self-published authors. So grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and relax. Have we got a story for you...

BRoP Footer Revised

Comments

  1. I'm the say as you - I start with flashes/ideas and develop from there, writers' block means something isn't working, and I love my CPs and betas! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME