Less Can be More


In October I took a full month off from doing what I love to do best.  Yes, I took off writing.

Have you ever felt that you need to do something over and over again?  Have you felt the need to continue to do something because you've always done it?

Try taking a break from that thing that you feel you NEED to do.  I know, it may be impossibly hard, but then, nothing is truly impossible. 

So whether it be drinking beer, writing on your blog, or even writing. (I know, it’s a difficult concept, to not write, but bear with me.) I have to say that I did just that in October.  The stopping drinking the beer happened in my house too.  One thing I found out.  Not only did my hubby find out he doesn't need to drink beer, I found out I didn't need to write high fantasy all the time. 

It was hard not writing at all, but instead of focusing on what I've been working on, my mind took different twists and turns.  I’ll admit, I did out-line some things, but I took a month off of writing.  Sometimes stopping yourself from what you think you need will open you up to what you really need.  You don’t have to do a full month, like I did.  Try a few days at first.  You’ll be amazed what you find out about yourself and the amount of creation that will flood out after the dam is broken. 

What did I find out? I can write middle grade fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult and I even took a chance at some romance.

What do you think you could find out during the time off?  I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME