Mud Pies, Planters, and Plants, Sounds like the Weekend!

Living in the city, I have very little outdoor space. What I do have is normally used as a parking lot. I do, however, have a wide and long deck in the back and a strip of land in the front.

I've been toying with the idea of a garden for over 5 years and I'm embarrassed to say it took that long for me to finally get my hands dirty. The good news is, as soon as I started digging up the ground, the kids wanted in. They didn't want to keep digging and pulling out the rocks and weeds. They wanted to get in the dirt and start planting seeds.

So I had them wait till I was done. (It took an hour for each section of my garden.) When I was ready, they were hands out and ready to take those precious new seeds and plant them. My mind kept thinking there was a better way of doing this. For the kids and myself. There is and I ended up setting it up on the porch.

A planter, better yet, a kids planter. Granted right now, since this is me starting this endeavor, it's a group of pots and plastic boxes. I didn't want to go big just yet, but I will.

See that beauty down there? Yeah, that will be mine for next year's planting. No fuss over roots and rocks, just me, my kids and my compost giving love to the seeds that we plant there.
I earn 10% on sales from this blog from Eartheasy.com

I can imagine now:
Dumping in the compost and soil mix, spreading it out just so and then bam... moments later the kids come in and poke their little fingers into the dirt to create homes for the seeds. Cover and water. Each day they can come out and gaze on their colorful planter waiting for those little sprouts to finally lift themselves to the sky. I'm thinking vegetables, but knowing my kids I see flowers too. I guess I may have to get one for me and one for each of them. I'll have to save up a bit but it's going to be worth it.

What about you? What do you have to plant in. Do you have a yard with a garden? Or did you set up planters like me?

I found this picture and some great advice at Eartheasy.com. Here's the best part, this baby and plenty more sustainable living products are on sale right now. The whole back to school thing has more advantages than I thought. 

Something cool that I just learned about this company, they plant a tree for every order they get. So even when I get this and several other things, I'll be indirectly planting trees. I call that a win-win.

Okay to sum it up. Planting is going to be made so much easier with this guy, it is rust resistant, has a drain plug to make sure the plants are not over watered, the right height for my kids and I'll be planting a tree somewhere along with planting my veggies and flowers. See why I'm a bit excited. I'll post pics when this guy is ready to grow next year. If I plan this right, I may even be able to pick one up before the sale ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME