Blog Ring of Power Presents: Jennifer Allis Provost

Everybody dance! Friday is upon us and so is another week with Blog Ring of Power.  Today we are going to have a wicked time with fellow New Englander Jennifer Provost. *waves*
Now let's get this party started. Don't forget to check out the rest of her interview with my buddies and yours:





Part 3 @ You are here!  - Friday, August 2nd



Jennifer Allis Provost is a native New Englander who lives in a sprawling colonial along with her beautiful and precocious twins, a dog, a parrot (maroon bellied conure, to be exact), two cats, and a wonderful husband who never forgets to buy ice cream. As a child, she read anything and everything she could get her hands on, including a set of encyclopedias, but fantasy was always her favorite. She spends her days drinking vast amounts of coffee, arguing with her computer, and avoiding any and all domestic behavior.


Section #3: The Creative Process
  1. Where do you get your story ideas?

JP: Anywhere and everywhere: music boxes, oddly-shaped trees, and burnished copper faucets, to name a few.

  1. How do you deal with writer’s block?

JP:  I normally have a few ideas cooking at once, so I switch to another project when I get stuck on a plot point. I find that after I’ve worked on something else for a while, the original project becomes new and shiny again.

  1. Are you a “plotter” or a “pantser” (do you plan/outline the story ahead of time or write “by the seat of your pants”)?

JP:  I’m a total pantser – I open a blank page and hammer away scenes until I have something usable. The most plotting I do beforehand are character profiles and the climax.

  1. Do you use critique partners or beta readers? Why or why not?

JP: Sometimes, and I’m very picky about them. I only use readers that “get” what I’m working on at the time. For instance, I wouldn't ask someone who only reads cozy mysteries to critique an epic fantasy. Also, I’m unlikely to use the same beta more than once; by using fresh eyes, prior inconsistencies may be brought to light.

  1. How much time do you spend on research? What type of research do you do?

JP: Again, it depends on what I’m working on. For my fantasy series, The Chronicles of Parthalan, I did hardly any research. The world is a complete product of my imagination, with a magic system just as unique. I couldn't very well Google “Aeolmar, First Hunter of Parthalan.”

I’m currently working on a project set in Scotland, and I am researching all things Scottish. I even picked up a “Learn to Speak Scots Gaelic” CD, as well as a few books on Scottish slang. I’m currently looking for a research grant that will let me spend a day or two in Scotland. You just can’t get the proper feel for pub food from a magazine page.




Back cover matter:

Sara had always been careful.

She never spoke of magic, never associated with those suspected of handling magic, never thought of magic, and never, ever, let anyone see her mark. After all, the last thing she wanted was to end up missing, like her father and brother.

Then, a silver elf pushed his way into Sara's dream, and her life became anything but ordinary.


Please let us know where your readers can stalk you:
Twitter: @parthalan




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME